Sunday, September 28, 2008

Guitar Hero might be the worst thing that’s happened to video games since Uwe Boll

Guitar Praise
Are you a really big Guitar Hero fan? Well, you may not agree with Tom Conton’s assertion that ”Guitar Hero might be the worst thing that’s happened to video games since Uwe Boll” but you can’t deny his argument - that the juggernaut of rhythm/music games played with plastic instruments has become a creativity-killing cash cow.

It’s not Guitar Hero that he has a beef with, it’s all the me-too copy cats that come along with something that becomes a massive success. And I think he’s right. While I do think music games are changing the landscape of the stumbling music industry (artists releasing new albums via games, new licensing procedures, etc.), they are getting horribly “same-y” aren’t they? When the first game came out in 2005, it was so creative and fun and new - and now there are what, 2000 GH SKU’s and countless imitators?

I’m going to join Conton and bemoan this (admittedly inevitable - you know, business being business) sort of trend. Give me creativity, give me variety, or give me a new hobby! Who’s with me?

Read [Pop Sci]

No comments: