Thursday, August 28, 2008

The original BatCopter at the 2008 Ohio State Fair

gamertell batcopter in flight ohio state fair 2008
gamertell batcopter sign ohio state fair 2008Yeah, I got to see the BatPod and the BatCopter only a few weeks apart. In Ohio (USA), even. What’s the deal with that? The planets must be in some strange alignment.

Even so, I didn’t actually get to touch either one. The BatPod was heavily guarded (by two sleepy interns and a tiny stanchion string) and the BatCopter was $30 a person for a ride around the Ohio State Fair grounds in Columbus, OH (July 29 through August 9, 2008). Yeah, $30 even for my 1 1/2-year-old son.

The helicopter is sans bat wings but it has been painstakingly restored to its original condition so the owner could make a small fortune giving people the opportunity to sit in it for 2-3 minutes. Paying customers would be ready at the gate and, as soon as the copter landed, rushed over to get seated while the previous passengers rushed out. With such a quick turnaround it was about 3 minutes per ride (including the ground time) with two passengers each trip. Yep, that’s about 20 flights at $60 per, making about $1200 per hour. BatCash-tic!

Just to make sure you believe this is the real deal, the BatCopter people had a giant sign with tiny text that you could read while waiting in line to ride (I’ve included it in the Photo Gallery. If I get a few extra hours maybe I’ll squint and transcribe it for you). According to the sign, it is currently owned and flown by Capt. Eugene A. Nock, ATP, who has more than 12,000 hours of flight time and gave the BatCopter a 1200-hour overhaul (maybe there’s magic in the number 12).

Looks like this is making the fair grounds rounds and, since the Ohio State fair is over, there is a chance you’ll see it at your local country or state fair. If you are in or near Ohio, though, you can check out the original 1966 Batmobile October 4-5, 2008, at the Mid-Ohio-Con comic book convention at the Greater Columbus Convention Center.

Sweet. I’m going for a BatTrifecta.

Read [Intercontinental Ballistic Discourse] Also Read [1966BatFan] Read [Mid-Ohio-Con]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey,

Thanks for the plug. I really loved the Batcopter ride. I still can't believe I actually got to do that...and here in Ohio!

Read through some of your old posts. Very cool blog. I'm a gamer myself! Can't wait to get my hands on Mirror's Edge! I'll keep reading!

Elie