Thursday, July 30, 2009

Comic Con 2009: Gettin’ telekenetic with Mattel’s Mind Flex

mind flex box artHave you ever thought you had telekinesis? Well it turns out everyone does! I didn’t believe it myself until I tried out the new Mind Flex game by Mattel at Comic Con this year.

I was introduced to a nice man who told me I was about to play a game where I have to move a small foam ball through an obstacle course using only my mind. Of course I was skeptical but then he strapped this helmet to my head (which attaches to your ears as well) and showed me the course. This one was already set up.

He told me that the object of the game was to move the ball through the course that he set up by concentrating on the ball. He told me that it uses EEG technology (which is used by doctors to study brain waves). Basically, when we think or concentrate, we are emitting brain waves.

nind flex helmetThe helmet I was wearing takes these brainwaves, via sensors, and transmits them to a fan located in the obstacle course. The more you concentrate, the faster the fans blow and the higher the ball goes. Alternatively, the less you concentrate, the lower it goes.

So I try it and, sure enough, the ball moved up and down depending on how much I concentrate.! There is also a knob on the console that you turn to make the course move so, for instance, you could move the ball through different holes and hoops.

Now I still thought their was some trick involved, like he was moving the ball up and down or something but then I realized that wasn’t the case, especially considering this is a game you play at home and the obstacle course is interchangeable. So the only answer is that it really is controlled by brainwaves.

mind flex consoleI would not have believed this if I hadn’t played it for myself. There is truly some advanced technology at work here, and it only shows how far we have come in the gaming world.

Mind Flex will be released October 2009 and you can preorder it from Amazon and WalMart for $79.99. You really have to play it to believe it.

Site [Mindflex] Read [MSNBC] Also Read [Gamertell]

No comments: